Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speer 147 G2

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That's a really good point. @TC215, any idea if they were -SD variants?
    I've looked into it with no luck. I might be able to find out early next week.

Prior to retiring, I was involved with two separate ballistic gel tests that my agency hosted in which the Speer 147 G2 was one of the rounds tested. Both times the Speer G2 147 gr failed. In the beginning of the second test (conducted about 12 months after the previous gel test) I mentioned to the Speer rep that the G2 round didn't do so well last time. He assured me that the G2 rounds he had were the redesigned 147 G2 round. I'm sure it was their newest version at the time. But it still failed.

We also tested the Speer 124+p gold dot as well as the Federal 147 HST. Both of which did much better than the 147gr G2. At the end of the day, we stayed with our issued Winchester 147gr Ranger (RA9T).

Not scientific testing, but I've shot into 4 layer denim covered 1-gallon water jugs with a Glock 19 on two occasions. Both times the fully expanded bullet broke the far side of jug #4. These were from lot# D11C304, which should be 2021 production. They chrono tested 996fps from the same Glock 19. Which was 60fps faster than the older version G2 I had.

User Tag List