Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Swords.....

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    What are the origins of these swords?

I have way too many interestsÂ…Â…..

Also interest in the deets of the riveted mail.
    In the original post:

First sword is a large Oakeshotts Type XIV, inspired by an original housed in a museum in Paris. Early, mid-14th century. Made by Polish smith Mataeusz Sulowski.

Second sword is an early 13th century pattern, Oakeshotts Type X, not based on any original. The dagger is a recreation of a mid-14th century original housed in Skokloster Castle, Sweden. Both made by Swedish smith Peter Johnsson.

Third Sword is a recreation of an early 14th centuty original, Oakeshotts Type XII/XIV, housed in the Muesee de L'Armee, Paris. Made by Polish smith Maciej Kopciuch. The rondel dagger is a mid-14th century pattern based on English examples. Made by Leo Todeschini of Tod's Workshop, England.

Final two photos are an early 14th century War Sword of Oakeshotts Type XIIa and two Dane Axes, all made by Eric Mchugh.

The mail is a riveted hauberk of 11th century pattern that I made when I was heavy into living history interpretation.

Name:  95816372.qCOoKe7K.longshiplongship012.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  45.5 KB
    Last edited by Trooper224; 05-06-2024 at 09:30 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Here's a large Rondel dagger from the older Tod Cutler Line. This is before he started having the blades manufactured offshore. Back then, the Cutler Line were simply plainer, non-custom stuff, but still made by Leo. The rondels are steel and horn laminate and the grip is horn. Stannis Baratheon carried one of these throughout Game of Thrones. A large, stout piece.

Name:  20240506_220050.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  51.7 KB

(Deep Sigh.) I keep telling myself, “Self, you have a bum “strong side” shoulder, and a retiree’s budget. NO swords. Pole arms, perhaps, but, no swords…”
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    (Deep Sigh.) I keep telling myself, “Self, you have a bum “strong side” shoulder, and a retiree’s budget. NO swords. Pole arms, perhaps, but, no swords…”
    When bullets and hope have fled, all that's left is to die well sword in hand.

Pole arms are for plebes, don't die a plebe.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    When bullets and hope have fled, all that's left is to die well sword in hand.

Pole arms are for plebes, don't die a plebe.
    IDK- the Swiss built up quite the reputation with their halberds.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    IDK- the Swiss built up quite the reputation with their halberds.
    Yes, and now they're nothing but clerks, selling watches and chocolate. Tosh. 😀

At the end it's all about style. Who wants to go out swinging a glorified garden hoe.

At the end it's all about style. Who wants to go out swinging a glorified garden hoe.
    Then again, there's something megaChad about using your halberd to get the sword & armor of some cocky Austrian nobles or French Gügler.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Then again, there's something megaChad about using your halberd to get the sword & armor of some cocky Austrian nobles or French Gügler.
    Arbalesters and Bowmen enter the room…
    Optimists study English; pessimists study Chinese; and realists learn to use a Kalashnikov.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Arbalesters and Bowmen enter the room…
    A world with the knowledge to make an arbalest is also a world with the knowledge to make a pattern 1859 Sharps breech loader. Much easier and faster than using a windlass crank.

All these blades are really cool, though, @Trooper224
    Please check your pms soon.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List