Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pack of dogs attack people in Philly

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I find it hard to believe there are that many strays running loose in any neighborhood. Doesn't Philly have any type of animal control or is that just something that doesn't happen in those les-than-desirable neighborhoods?
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    You've never been to Philly, I see.

Baltimore, Philadelphia, and D.C are generously described as "shitholes".
    Yup apparently someone has never been to the ‘hood.

In cities full of feral humans why wouldn’t one expect feral dogs ?

I don't think the cop did anything wrong here. I'd also likely be taking my time to pick shots when there's a human flailing around in a pack of dogs.

The situation sucks. Got it. However, being rash and shooting the victim or a bystander isn't going to help anything, especially in 2024. This police officer's actions were reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Maybe wading in to get the dogs to attack you and off the poor dude on the ground?
    I don't think this is a good idea.

Unless you work in a very specific government job where you're trained to use a sacrificial arm to purposely get a dog to latch on so that you can start working on it/other dogs...and have practiced it live...

...this is a really good way to make yourself a victim that can't defend yourself or the person you're supposed to be helping. And even then, for those people who do practice that, there's no point in making themselves a casualty instead of doing what this police officer did.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    For reasons, random dogs often think I am their mortal enemy. Been bit three times by dogs that 10 to 30 seconds prior owners stated "You're fine, they won't bite you." Been blessed by my affinity for double knee work pants.

Pepper spray and CP goes on every walk.

Would a reasonable response been just to pepper spray everything in the pile of dogs/victim? To make some distance to start popping dogs.

Maybe wading in baton swinging?

Maybe wading in to get the dogs to attack you and off the poor dude on the ground?

It seemed the guy with the rake could of helped but then again, the pack leader was a huge f'ing dog.
    I’ve used OC on dogs 5 times. Mrs. CF has done it twice. When sprayed on the dogs’ face the results were disappointing. Way better results with a big flashlight to the head.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’ve used OC on dogs 5 times. Mrs. CF has done it twice. When sprayed on the dogs’ face the results were disappointing. Way better results with a big flashlight to the head.
    OT, but, have you ever tried rock maple nunchaku? Just asking…

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I find it hard to believe there are that many strays running loose in any neighborhood. Doesn't Philly have any type of animal control or is that just something that doesn't happen in those les-than-desirable neighborhoods?
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    You've never been to Philly, I see.

Baltimore, Philadelphia, and D.C are generously described as "shitholes".
    Are you using an OC with stream or “conical mist” output.

I recall, receiving some training which claimed that dogs react differently to OC and that the mist form was more effective with dogs than the stream.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    If any of those dogs have owners and they allow their dog to roam the owner should be shot! This ultimately is a people problem. There are no bad dogs only bad owners.
    Outside the middle class bubble, Trashy people in poor urban areas subscribe to the same loose concept of dog ownership as trashy People in poor rural areas. Their dogs come and go, roam freely, are usually not allowed inside the house and usually receive little to no veterinary care or vaccinations. They periodically put out food and water, but the dogs are semi feral.

It should not be a surprise since many people in these cultures largely treat their children the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    OT, but, have you ever tried rock maple nunchaku? Just asking…

No, but I have used a 1944 military shovel. Spanks 3rd world dogs for a good yelp.

I would use nunchucks but never carried a pair…

Pack of dogs attack people in Philly

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Are you using an OC with stream or “conical mist” output.

I recall, receiving some training which claimed that dogs react differently to OC and that the mist form was more effective with dogs than the stream.
    I used a stream unit. I could see how a fogger might be more effective at putting OC in the facial orifices. But, outdoors, I do worry about blowback.

OC stream to the dogs butthole works like magic. Lift tail, spray. Game over.

No, but I have used a 1944 military shovel. Spanks 3rd world dogs for a good yelp.

I would use nunchucks but never carried a pair…
    This thread reminds me again - that while saps and jacks are verboten in my current locale, nunchucks are not...

Site Supporter
    OC stream to the dogs butthole works like magic. Lift tail, spray. Game over.
    This made me giggle far too vigorously at 5:30am.

Chris

User Tag List