Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bergara Rifles

Okay, Bergara sounds pretty good, then. I’ll look through them more closely.

Already have plenty of .308s, so not looking for another.

The .22-250 and .243 are for coyotes. We have some larger coyotes in our area and would like to try out the .243 on them. I hope to be able to use the .22-250 on bobcat and fox, as well. Would prefer to use something a bit lighter for fox and bobcats and can use .223 on them. (I’m actually pretty interested in the prospect of using some tungsten T-shot on coyotes if I can get them close enough. Hevi-Shot “Dead Coyote”, specifically.)

The .300 Win Mag is for black bear at 325 yards. .30-06 would work for that, but want to try the .300 WM. Can also download it for whitetails, but have .30-06s for that, as well. Need to start practicing with the WM to get ready for hunting season. I used to have a .300 WM M700 about 20 years ago and have always regretted selling it.

New gun fever, I guess. Thanks again to everyone. Always such good info on this forum.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    If this is for hunting, I'd also look at a Tikka T3x. They seem like one of the best out of the box options for the money. Bergara is nice if you want to put it in a chassis however, as it uses a more or less R700 footprint and is compatible with the majority of R700 chasses .

When I was looking at a Bergara a bit ago they (manufacture) said a traditional break in was not necessary for the barrel.

When I was looking at a Bergara a bit ago the manufacture said a traditional barrel break in was not necessary. Could be a selling point.

I bought a Bergara B-14 Ridge SP (I think I got all that right) in 6.5 CM a few years ago. It has worked fine, shoots accurately, and I have no complaints. Well, one. It's pretty heavy. That's great for practice, etc.; not so much for toting around in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Okay, Bergara sounds pretty good, then. I’ll look through them more closely.

Already have plenty of .308s, so not looking for another.

The .22-250 and .243 are for coyotes. We have some larger coyotes in our area and would like to try out the .243 on them. I hope to be able to use the .22-250 on bobcat and fox, as well. Would prefer to use something a bit lighter for fox and bobcats and can use .223 on them. (I’m actually pretty interested in the prospect of using some tungsten T-shot on coyotes if I can get them close enough. Hevi-Shot “Dead Coyote”, specifically.)

The .300 Win Mag is for black bear at 325 yards. .30-06 would work for that, but want to try the .300 WM. Can also download it for whitetails, but have .30-06s for that, as well. Need to start practicing with the WM to get ready for hunting season. I used to have a .300 WM M700 about 20 years ago and have always regretted selling it.

New gun fever, I guess. Thanks again to everyone. Always such good info on this forum.
    Sound logic. But don’t overlook the Tikkas.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Current production M70's

Thanks for all the info. I’m very familiar with the 700s and M70s. I also like the Tikkas. I’m looking at a couple of calibers that Tikka only chambers in shorter barrels, so am broadening my search.

Am also looking at M70s, but don’t know if the current Portuguese made M70s are as good as the older ones? They also don’t seem to be in a hurry to produce rifles.

Am considering a .300 Win Mag with a 26” barrel, a .243 with a 24” barrel and a .22-250 with a 26” barrel. Not all at once, just weighing options at this point. Tikka seems stuck on 20” and 22” models for a lot of models. They have a “23.7” barrel for the .300 WM that I may end up settling for. I don’t know if Bergara has these lengths, yet. Just haven’t looked at them very closely.

I see that Remington lists some of the barrel lengths on their “new” M700s, but don’t know how these models compare to the older ones (from the 80s and 90s).

Terry Wieland has written that the current M70's are the best ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    Terry Wieland has written that the current M70's are the best ever made.
    Really! That’s interesting. In my mind Winchester seemed to be on the downside the past several years. I may have to rethink that and check one out soon. I am very happy with my Tikkas though, and find the Benelli Lupo very intriguing.

Part of me keeps thinking about a project of buying a 700 clone receiver and bolt and assembling the rest of the rifle with a pre-fit barrel, stock, bottom metal, trigger, etc. It would cost a good but more than a complete rifle, though and it probably wouldn’t be as accurate with me behind the project!

Thanks again.
    What’s your budget?

Zermatt Arms Origin Action: ~$900
    Trigger: ~$200 to $330
    Pre-fit barrel: ~$600
    Chassis or Stock: $500 to $1,500 depending on what you want/get

Quote Originally Posted by JimLob65 View Post
    Really! That’s interesting. In my mind Winchester seemed to be on the downside the past several years. I may have to rethink that and check one out soon. I am very happy with my Tikkas though, and find the Benelli Lupo very intriguing.
    I purchased a newer model 70 a couple of years ago. The scope mounts were not aligned with the barrel. Sent it back, they replaced the rifle completely. It was absolutely a beautiful rifle. However it was very Amo finicky and I could only find one particular Hornady load that it liked. Furthermore, when it like that load it would only shoot about two shots worth in a good zone, shot number three and up would start veering off significantly. Probably okay for a hunting gun but not if you want to keep shooting, go out and have fun, Etc

Also had a Lupo. Overall fit and finish nowhere near the winchester. However it would shoot a five shot group tight with a wider variety of ammo also.

User Tag List