Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield replacement

Windshield replacement

Sitting in the shady carport, my windshield sprung an L shaped crack. No vandalism, just whatever...

I don't recall ever having one replaced. On a Tacoma related forum, dudes got all OCD over OEM, Safelite, WTF-ever. Tell me what you know, P-F.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Your insurance may enable you to make a claim online and select from a list of vendors. Many policies also have a small or no deductible for glass damage. The last time something similar happened to me, I filed the claim online and selected the vendor, who came to where the car was parked and replaced the windshield while I was busy with something else. No deductible. Pretty smooth.

If you don't have glass coverage, you may be able to have it covered under "comprehensive".

I've only had a crack in a windshield fixed once. Safelite came to my home...maybe near 20 years ago, and did a great job.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I have had to replace a windshield (just glass, no auto dimming, no lane departure stuff etc.) in my last 2 leased vehicles (2017 Jetta/2020 Jetta) There are multiple glassmakers out there that even if they are not OEM for your car they are for somebody ie PPM. I used a brand like that to save a bit of money.

I went local both times. 300ish v 500ish at the dealer/safelite.

If you have insurance coverage, great. If not Safelite is usually pretty expensive relative to a local option. I fully acknowledge the convenience factor.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Hired a local guy to replace front windshield on a Grand Cherokee. He told me the Jeep dealership had to calibrate sensors in the new windshield so the backup camera would work. He could replace the windshield at the dealership, and they could then calibrate. OK

When I dropped car at the dealership they asked me if I wanted OEM windshield WTF do I know? OK. Cost to me was $500 - 750 out of pocket. Installer told me afterward that if I hadnt specified OEM my out of pocket based on my insurance coverage would have been zero, zip, nada.

FML
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If you don't have glass coverage, you may be able to have it covered under "comprehensive".

I've only had a crack in a windshield fixed once. Safelite came to my home...maybe near 20 years ago, and did a great job.
    I'll be the Yang to your Yin Had a 2 month old 1990 Civic EX Sedan. Known problem defects in the windshield and Honda service writer acknowledged that. Dealership had a subcontractor come out to do replacement and I watched while the installer braced his knee against the side of each front quarter panel when cutting the seal, denting both sides behind the wheel well. Then as he was cutting the bottom seal of the window the pull blade on the end of a cable came free and put a 4" gash into the hood. Had a rental for a week while the damage was repaired and the front end repainted. I'd speculate it was the installer's first and last windshield job.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

^^^

Ouch.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

We caught a rock in our new car before it even needed its first oil change. Took it to Safelite and I opted for the repair versus the non OEM replacement since the chip was on the passenger side.

Name:  IMG_9641.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  31.2 KB

My deductible was zero either option and I preferred to not have the factory seals disturbed so early in the life of the car. They did say that they could re-calibrate all the cameras/sensors at Safelite so if that’s a concern, it should be a one stop shop.

AFAIK my Taco doesn't have sensors in the windshield. I've used insurance for chips (also repaired one myself), so I'll check my current coverage.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I’ve got “free” glass replacement so I usually just get it approved by my agent then they give me a list of vendors to choose from. My Jeep gets chip and cracks a lot because the angle it’s set at.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List