Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory - Where's The Love?

The only out of the box, high round count, hard use Springfield 1911 that I’d want to take into harm’s way is the PRO. I do not believe that that gun is being made ever since the Custom Shop closed its doors.

For me, every other production Springfield 1911 is a range or competition gun until throughly vetted by a reputable gunsmith, and proven reliable with 1-2K rounds. Guns like the production TRP have the potential to be great guns, but the company’s spotty track record means that the cannot be trusted to run out of the box like a HK45, P220, G21, etc.

I say that based on currently owning 3 Springer 1911s: 2 Pros and a ‘90s era Trophy Match that was overhauled with Wilson parts.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    So there you have it. I bought a SA 1911 Commander and so far it works with my out of date ammunition. Some folks just don't know no better.
    The Echelon is SA's best polymer pistol so far, but not good enough to make me buy one instead of a Glock.

SA makes several levels of 1911s. Starting at the bottom, I'd buy one instead of a Tisas because I don't trust anything made in Turkey. I'm also comfortable doing a lot of my own 1911 work, so base gun plus parts would work for me. The Ronins and TRPs I've seen lately look pretty solid. A recent Prodigy seemed better than the first ones I saw, and it worked with factory mags and whatever ammo I put through it. None of this has been exhaustive testing.

The first rule of 1911 club is that any 1911 that's not a 5" .45 is more likely to have problems. The second rule is that good mags matter. That said, I'm starting to believe that 9mm 1911s have been sorted out The crazy/retro/legacy half of my brain thinks a LW 9mm Commander length gun would be awesome as a carry gun, especially if it has a dot for old dude eyes.

That's the long way of saying that I heartily approve your choice.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I like their 1911s. I have a stainless mil spec 45 and I just ordered a Ronin 45.
    Not bad guns for the money.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    **OK**

My Prodigy 4.25 is great. Hole in hole accurate. I can actually hit well at 25 yards. It is a bit heavy, but just crazy accurate with mild recoil. I love it. I am so hoping they offer a smaller Prodigy to compete with the Bul UL SAS and Staccato CS and C!

I play with the idea of getting a Mil Spec or Garrison, and perhaps having a good 1911 smith go through it. I think SA uses glued in ejectors though, and I’m not sure I’m down with that. I don’t know what the Greats think of it, maybe it’s fine (Yam, etc)

Admitedly a bit of a 1911 snob but happened into a sale i just couldnt pass on.Name:  20240420_103524.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  17.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    None of this should be surprising because as an old Texas Ranger once told me when you buy a 1911, you’ve “just bought the kit.”
    Absolutely this. But that's also what makes a good gun special, and what makes it fun.
    If you're not going to learn to use the front sight properly, don't bother with it. If pointing the gun, screaming "Ahhhhh!" and cranking on the trigger is all you can learn to do, work on doing that safely. -ToddG

Site Supporter
    I've had 8 SA 1911s and they have all been fantastic.

I have 3 in the safe right now and are recent purchases. The other 5 were purchases in 2019 through 2021 and were fantastic. 9mm and 45. Tons of rounds through two of them and no issues, ever.

I've been very impressed with SA's out-of-the-box reliability.

I've also stopped caring about MIM: powdered metal is the basis for most OEM engine connecting rods for the past 30 years.

Can’t speak to the 1911s, but as I posted here, I’ve recently become a big fan of the Hellcat Pro. Just the right balance between shootable and capable on the one hand, and easily concealable while dressed for business.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1576415

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    My pet 9mm SA 5" RO Operator is probably the last centerfire handgun that I will knowingly part with. It has been strictly a plinker/fungun/range toy, and I would only halfheartedly use it in extremis, "if I had to... I guess" (I haven't completely scrubbed away all of my "9mm 1911 paranoia"). It's been a good pistol; good enough that I'd buy it all over again.

The wife's SA 9mm Compact RO Elite is another good Springfield 1911, having run fine right out of the box.

We have had good experiences with Springfield's 1911s and their M1As. As for the rest of their offerings, I really haven't done much more than briefly gymnasticate the odd example and observe them from a polite distance.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List