Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson SD9 VE

So I did a thang. Happened to be in the same class with Jeff from PewPew CNC and just happened to have one of my SD9’s and an unused Holosun 507c. For $100, what the hell, it’ll make a good loaner/traveling RDS pistol.

I’ll post pics when I get it back.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    A semi-local LGS had a clean SD9VE w/ three magazines listed on GB and I wound up winning for $200 ($218 OTD w/ tax).

Drove over and picked it up this afternoon and while checking it out in the store I kept thinking, "I don't know why everyone poo-poos the trigger on this thing, it's actually pretty nice." It wasn't until I got home and inspected closer that I realized it already had the Apex trigger kit installed (I literally had Apex's site open in another window and was about to enter my CC info to place the order). I wish I'd paid attention to these things sooner...I'd always brushed them off as a Sigma with make-up and fake eyelashes.

Name:  SD9VE.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  97.5 KB
    Last edited by kwb377; 04-30-2024 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    A semi-local LGS had a clean SD9VE w/ three magazines listed on GB and I wound up winning for $200 ($218 OTD w/ tax).

Drove over and picked it up this afternoon and while checking it out in the store I kept thinking, "I don't know why everyone poo-poos the trigger on this thing, it's actually pretty nice." It wasn't until I got home and inspected closer that I realized it already had the Apex trigger kit installed (I literally had Apex's site open in another window and was about to enter my CC info to place the order). I wish I'd paid attention to these things sooner...I'd always brushed them off as a Sigma with make-up and fake eyelashes.

Name:  SD9VE.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  97.5 KB
    That’s a good deal.

My only complaint has been with the magazine springs. Pretty weak and wouldn’t reliably lock slide back when empty. I think I fixed that by replacing springs w G17 springs. Need to run a few mags through it to make sure. I’ll wait til I get the slide back before I mess around with it any more.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

I believe this is the same gun Academy would put on sale during Christmas time for $199 some years ago.

I am kicking myself for not jumping on one.

They are currently $300.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    That’s a good deal.

My only complaint has been with the magazine springs. Pretty weak and wouldn’t reliably lock slide back when empty. I think I fixed that by replacing springs w G17 springs. Need to run a few mags through it to make sure. I’ll wait til I get the slide back before I mess around with it any more.
    None of the three magazines that came with mine will lock the slide open at all. With the slide off, I can see that the follower is engaging the tab on the slide lever, but obviously with not enough "oomph" to push it up enough. I may try and tweak/bend the tab downward just a smidge to see of that will help, and swap some of my Glock mag springs to test also.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb377 View Post
    None of the three magazines that came with mine will lock the slide open at all. With the slide off, I can see that the follower is engaging the tab on the slide lever, but obviously with not enough "oomph" to push it up enough. I may try and tweak/bend the tab downward just a smidge to see of that will help, and swap some of my Glock mag springs to test also.
    I tried that and also tried putting a smidge of JB weld on the bottom of the tab. Wasn’t 100%.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Aren't the magazines the same between the old sigma, the SD and VE guns?

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm...D=1&mID=58#925

It says .40 but Wolff makes +5% springs for that magazine. Might be worth a try rather than repurposing a Glock mag spring?

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Aren't the magazines the same between the old sigma, the SD and VE guns?

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm...D=1&mID=58#925

It says .40 but Wolff makes +5% springs for that magazine. Might be worth a try rather than repurposing a Glock mag spring?
    If I didn’t have a bunch of G17 mags for my Glocks I’d say yes. G17 springs work in both.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    If I didn’t have a bunch of G17 mags for my Glocks I’d say yes. G17 springs work in both.
    Ah, makes sense I guess since they copied a bunch of other Glock stuff for the Sigma. Why not do the mag spring too?

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Ah, makes sense I guess since they copied a bunch of other Glock stuff for the Sigma. Why not do the mag spring too?
    Spring with blue paint is the SD9 spring.
    Name:  IMG_5187.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  47.0 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.

User Tag List