Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hellcat pro

So I bought one today. Traded in Sig 365 for partial credit. Was only able to do 200 rounds of Geco 124fmj listed at 1180fps and 4 rounds of Winchester 124+P Ranger. If you're wondering why only 4....that's what was left in one box! No issues.
    Recoil with range ammo is noticable. Not unpleasant but it lets you know. With the +P stuff the felt recoil was unpleasant and a little snappy. Thought I was shooting 40sw for a sec.

Accuracy was good, trigger was fine. I don't have a way to measure it but it is heavier than my OEM Glock 19.5 but also the the 19.5 has been shot more..... obviously. I have OEM gen 3 Glock 17 & 19 that are lighter and smoother than the gen5.....from more use. So I'm sure this is going to wear in and get a little lighter. It was heavy(er) but smooth and deliberate.

Accuracy was excellent even with a new to me trigger. Had a few fliers but this was the first mag but there 15 rounds. Its a 2 inch circle. Target was at 10 yards. Haley Strategic Targets. At 25 yards I was able to dance around the black circle but at that distance the front sight pretty much covered the that whole side of the target. Sorry, forgot to take pics of that.

This is about how the coverage of the front sight at 25 yards. Accurate center mass shots at that distance is very doable but you're not going to be shooting wings off a fly

This gun is what the G43X should have been. It's almost the same size as the G19, just slightly thinner and a little shorter, maybe half inch. It's actually pretty damn close to Sig365XL although it looks a little bigger, it's not and holds 15 rounds flush as opposed to Sig's 12.

Mags are about the same size as G19 mags, just a hair narrower

Im was surprised at how much I like it while being very confused by it at the same time. I did not like either of the 365s. The original didn't fit anywhere for me and just sat around. Too small to draw quickly and get a good grip, too big for pocket cary. The XL had a way to narrow grip and snappy recoil. The Hellcat Pro (stupid name) is the same size but with a overall better grip with less recoil. But it's beginning to be very close to duty size guns. At the point, in my mind, am I really any more or less comfortable with what I've always carried, a G19. Same capacity, just 1/2 inch shorter and slightly thinner but with the disadvantage of added felt recoil and slightly snappier thus slower followup shots. Of course this can all be overcome with training but at today's ammo prices would it be better to just buy the ammo and practice with the G19?

To be honest I had a rather bad day with my Sig 365XL yesterday and promised to sell it and never speak it's name again!!! Well the store didn't want it but they took the smaller one.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Hellcat Pro (stupid name. I feel like a 12 year old talking about a comic book character. At least it doesn't say GRIP ZONE). But it's squarely in the middle of micro compact and compact. To the point where it does neither well. But if you're the type of person who thinks carrying a G19 all day is too bulky and heavy this may be a good alternative

Just for size comparison. SIG 365XL and Hellcat Pro. The Hellcat is the ghost outline

.....and against the G19.5
    Last edited by 4RNR; 03-20-2022 at 02:42 PM.

Any updates on these fellas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot a rental HC Pro over the weekend. Wanted to see if I shot it any better that my Hellcat. Spoiler,.. I didn’t.

Biggest problem at the beginning was the same as any other range rental weapons,.. Nobody at these ranges seems to take the time to zero any the damned weapons. First Mag, I shot everything way low and to the right. When I took a look I noticed that the rear sight was not centered properly. So I asked the RSO if they had a site pusher available and he eyeballed centering the rear site.

That put my rounds back in or near the bull’s-eye, but I was still shooting two or 3 inches low.

That said, Once we sorted that out,.. I didn’t notice any significant improvement in my grouping between my HC & the Pro. 🤷*♂️

I have several 15 round mags (with the grip extension spacers) for the Hellcat, so since I have the extra capacity and the additional .75” of barrel & sight alignment didn’t improve my shooting? I personally see No need to spend another $600 on ANOTHER pistol! (…Gun Lust be DAMNED!) 🤣🤣🤣🤷*♂️

My brother wants to get a Hellcat Pro to go with his Hellcat. He wants to wait until they come out with the thumb safety version of the Hellcat Pro since his Hellcat has one.

I picked one of these up. Shot 115 fmj, 147 flat nose and 147 hst. No hiccups yet. Really feels like a small g19. Grip needs a little more traction. Occasionally would hit the slide release and not lock back on empty. Rear sight is too busy needs blacked out. Trigger on my sample was clean and very little grit, but heavy. I’d say in the mid to high 6s easily. Was not as soft shooting as the 365xl.

Some comparison shots to 365xl with Wilson module. The Wilson module imho is a game changer for the 365xl. It’s amazing how different she feels with that. They are close in size. But the Sig is smooth and contoured yet the Springer is blocky. I do not have a thousand rounds through either so I can’t really make a definitive statement.

Thanks for the info, pics and nice comparison. Always best to see things first hand in photos over digital comparison site. How is the recoil and control feel on the Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by octagon View Post
    Thanks for the info, pics and nice comparison. Always best to see things first hand in photos over digital comparison site. How is the recoil and control feel on the Pro?
    The recoil impulse feels more like a jab than a soft push. With 147 the front sight bounces and settles pretty good. If you grip the shit out of the Hellcat and run rounds through at a fast pace it does pretty good. It has a heck of a recoil spring setup in it. I seemed to do better with consistent groups at a faster pace than really slow fire.

The 365xl is more of a push and seems to settle back a little smoother.

The pics I took of the targets were not bullseye shooting or anything. But it was a decent indication of what I could do with them. The Sig was generally tighter and seemed easier to group. The Hellcat I could stack rounds but I had to really concentrate. I think with a plain black rear it would help.

The trigger was surprisingly smooth on the uptake and the break was not bad. The weight holds it back, I’d say it’s heavier than any of the other hellcats I’ve held in pull weight. I think with a 5lb ish trigger you could probably do some good work with her.

Giving this thread a bump for some longer term reviews. This gun has been out now for a while.

SIG has since released it's XMacro (comped) and XMacro Tac Ops versions of the P365. Size and capacity wise those guns are pretty similar to the Hellcat Pro. How do they compare.

Contra what appears to be the prevailing wisdom here, my initial impressions of the Hellcat Pro are quite positive. I traded for a new one about 3 months ago, and shortly thereafter ran a few mags through it to make sure it ran. Didn’t care for the sights — I found the striped U-notch rear distracting and also a hair too short for lower third or lower fourth co-witness. Also didn’t think the Grip Zone part (where you grip the gun) was all that grippy. (I kid, SA has shitcanned that ridiculousness on the Hellcat.)

First order of business was to swap the sights to Night Fision Optics Ready Stealth. Removing the stock sights was a bear even with the MGW sight pusher, those suckers are in there tight. So I had my gunsmith do it. He was ill for a while so I just got it back a few days ago. Once I got it back I put on an EPS-Carry using a DPP plate, and Talon Grips. JMCK AIWB 2.5 (of course).

Only one trip to the range so far, but I must say I really like it. After zeroing, I ran The Test, which I hadn’t done for many months. G19 scores are typically 93-98, in ~6 seconds or on a good day less. So the result below was quite a bit slower, but I attribute a good part of that to rustiness. In the big picture, I was very pleased.

The recoil impulse is sharper than, say, an Sig P365 with Macro grip. But like the Walter PDP, it comes right back on target. Mine has a safety (which I click on when holstering, then off once holstered — I’ve burned click/holster/click into my brain), which is well designed and like the P365 there’s no chance of inadvertently activating it on the draw or while firing.

Although the height of the Grip Zone is ~1/2 inch less than a P365 with Macro grip, it is extremely easy to get a full firing grip, and to maintain grip during rapid fire. Part of that may be that the grip feels broader and deeper than the Macro grip, even with the largest FDEZ backstrap. It’s 28.7 ounces with 15+1 of Gold Dot 124 +P, so it’s hard to even notice you’re carrying it. It’s as thin as a P365 with Macro grip, but with the shorter grip it just completely disappears, whereas the butt of the Macro grip can sometimes be detected if you’re looking from the right angle. The Hellcat Pro also doesn’t poke me at all like the Macro does a little bit.

Trigger - for sure it’s no PDP trigger, or a G19 with an Apex trigger, but it’s fine. All in all, a very good little gun, and I can definitely see the Hellcat Pro becoming my weekday/borderline NPE gun.

Name:  IMG_7917.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  65.3 KB

Name:  IMG_7927.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  98.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Mine has a safety (which I click on when holstering, then off once holstered — I’ve burned click/holster/click into my brain), which is well designed and like the P365 there’s no chance of inadvertently activating it on the draw or while firing.
    This is an interesting approach. My preference for thumb safeties on P320s and P365s is almost entirely a holstering thing, but I’ve never considered doing this.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List