Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Missing out by not trying HKS loaders, and only using Comp I's?

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. Seems maybe I'm not missing much, but I may give the HKS a try anyway, just to get a chance to know what I don't know yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I do have 2 Ruger branded Pachmayrs for my SP101, (don't judge I had $100 Ruger bucks to spend so I got 2 of every speed loader for the SP). I really want to like these. They are solid built all aluminum, hold the rounds in with a vice like grip, knob is bigger than HKS which I like, not round so they don't roll away. The cons, more expensive and they release counterclockwise which is backward to HKS.
    I thought maybe the Pachmayr loaders would be "the thing" ... they came out not long after I started my J-frame shooting. Initial reports were mixed, with many people reporting problems with them. I ended up not bothering to try them either. I have sometimes wondered if they ever improved them in the meantime.

When I got mine I had one of the same complaints found in the reviews, knob hard to turn. I found somewhere, I believe in the instructions that came with, they needed to be lubed. They freed up nicely.
    The other complaints I seen were "they hit my grips" and "the o ring broke" well sand your grips and replace the o ring. The one I don't believe is "it fell apart." Its held together by an internal spring clip and you need tools to remove it.

I think the biggest mistake in these is the release is backwards to what was already on the market. Even knowing this it gets me almost every time when I try to use them at speed.

If all I had were Pachs, I don't think I would be displeased.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post

I think the biggest mistake in these is the release is backwards to what was already on the market. Even knowing this it gets me almost every time when I try to use them at speed.

If all I had were Pachs, I don't think I would be displeased.
    Yeah, I thought that was an interesting decision in design as well. They look like really well made loaders... and I somewhat like the idea of something that isn't round and likely to roll away... or turn into a rollerskate under foot after a reload.

I wonder if Pach will ever make a .32 version if these new guns become more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I have a supremely strong preference to push loaders and loath twisties. [snipped]

I loath twisties enough to prefer strips over them.
    Same...

I have used both HKS and Safariland. I have had good luck with both while my experience is greater with the HKS. I used the HKS in the academy as well (reference to the earlier post). I have never had either accidently release their rounds in pocket or pouch (most used) carry. I find the Safariland maybe slightly faster but not by much since I am very used to using the HKS models.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Am I missing out on anything by only using Safariland Comp I's in my J-frames.... Should I give HKS loaders a try? I've had good luck with the Comp I's, and have a small pile of them around. HKS loaders can be had for around the same price, but I've never tried them.
    When Safariland loaders work properly, I find them to be superior to HKS loaders. Having the cartridges release by inserting them to the charge holes and pushing the loader in is faster than having to shift my grip and turn the release knob. So as long as the Safariland loaders you have work, I'd say no, you're not missing out on anything. Of course the HKS loaders are cheap enough that you can get one just to try it out for funsies.

My problem is that the Comp I's for my Redhawk are super stiff and sometimes fail to release the cartridges completely, and Safariland never made their loaders for .45 Colt. So I'm stuck using both types of loaders. Oh well. Still scored first place in the last IDPA match I shot with my Mountain Gun using HKS loaders. Of course, I was also the only revolver shooter in the entire match...
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

I did buy an HKS 32-J speedloader for my Ruger LCRX in .327 Federal Magnum and it seems to work OK, given the stock grips.
    I do seem to be more competent although slower, with a 9mm speed-strip.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015129410?pid=298637

Speedbeez has a .327 Fed Mag speedloader for the Ruger LCR which, conversely, should work with the 432UC, but I didn't (yet) buy one and won't even have my 432UC until next week.
    https://www.speedbeez.com/product/sp...magnum-6-shot/

For .38/.357, I've to HKS, Safariland, 5Star, Speedbeez, and even an SL Variant. As someone else mentioned, they'll all work but will depend on which grips and one's preference or twist knobs or push-release mechanisms. I too, have had a push-release type let go of all the rounds while carrying in a pocket. I also had some other old-school brand (Dade Machine Screw Products), now discontinued, which had some type of coiled spring wrapped around the circumference of the loader. Being an old cop, I gave these away to an even older cop who was more familiar with them, but I think the existing spring was just too worn or week for my liking.

I do like the ease of loading and locking the rounds into the loader with a twist knob. Also, depending on the loader, some may fit better in my pocket and not be too large.

A 9mm speed strip holds .32 S&W/.32 H&R Mag/.327 Federal Mag just fine or Tuff makes a .32/.327 version marked as such:
    https://www.amazon.com/Products-Quic...s%2C199&sr=8-7

or

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015338074?pid=518022

User Tag List