Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Only "one watch"/only "two watch"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I suspect automatic watches are like certain car brands -- people that have them mostly love them, and those that don't have them think they are not worth it.
    The caveat being "multiple" - I like my auto, but it's honestly a pain having 2, let alone more. This would be less hateful with no date/day watches.

The Seiko Kinetic/Spring drive is a pretty nice blend of the two, but there is something to a purely mechanical system.

I'll likely wind up with a single automatic, and solar/quartz + a kinetic for the balance.

Life is much easier now that I have a double winder.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Recognizing that regardless of all the other features I want - I definitely want a COSC Certified watch - because of my desired accuracy standards. It turns out there are a few brands that offer some COSC certified movements below $2500.

Mido
    TISSOT
    Zodiac
    Christopher Ward

The Christopher Ward C63 Sealander Elite has caught my eye. 40mm Titanium case, no rotating bezel, date function, retracting/recessed crown, hacking, AR sapphire crystal, COSC certified Sellita SW200 movement...$1850 with the Ti bracelet or $1550 with the rubber strap.

Name:  IMG_2548.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  29.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Recognizing that regardless of all the other features I want - I definitely want a COSC Certified watch - because of my desired accuracy standards. It turns out there are a few brands that offer some COSC certified movements below $2500.

Mido
    TISSOT
    Zodiac
    Christopher Ward

The Christopher Ward C63 Sealander Elite has caught my eye. 40mm Titanium case, no rotating bezel, date function, retracting/recessed crown, hacking, AR sapphire crystal, COSC certified Sellita SW200 movement...$1850 with the Ti bracelet or $1550 with the rubber strap.

Name:  IMG_2548.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  29.2 KB
    Those are all good choices.

One thing you want to think about is service. Not so much in terms of cost but in terms of availability.

While Selita movements aren't particularly difficult to service, you're always better off getting the OEM (or its certified folks) to do the work, especially if other aspects of the watch (like the hands) need work.

Christopher Ward is a relatively young company whose recent production has drawn a lot of positive responses from people in the industry, but, do they have a service/dealer network that will still be there if the economy goes bad? how long will a young watch company last? I like Christopher Ward and have thought of getting the #12 many a time, so I don't mean to knock them but caution in an expensive purchase is always warranted.

The other brands are part of huge conglomerates, those guys are going to be around nearly no matter what.

Nevertheless that C63 Sealander looks like a great watch.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Add more

The Sealander 63 GMT is something I have been looking at.

Another option is the Mido Ocean Star Titanium, which is $724 from Jomashop. VCDgrips put me onto this, and so far I have been thrilled. Lightweight, great bracelet with adjustment on the fly, very accurate. Using my Atomic Casio ProTek as a reference, it still shows within a second after watching it closely for a week. You lose the manufacturer's warranty with Jona, but since this watch is mainstream and the warranty is only two years, I thought it was a reasonable trade off for what you save buying it.

https://www.jomashop.com/mido-watch-...44-061-00.html

Name:  IMG_8082.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  72.0 KB

PS: comparing my Sinn 105 to my Atomic Casio, it is 38 seconds slow since Monday and the Mido is within ONE second.
    Last edited by GJM; 05-03-2024 at 10:09 AM.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have one watch with the SW200-1 movement, as far as I know not COSC just the base movement. Solid and dependable, never test for accuracy so not sure down to the second. But more than enough for me, the power reserve is only 38 hrs.

Alpina Seastrong 300

My Breitling GMT is the only COSC I own with a ETA-2893-2.

Site Supporter
    The Watch Tracker app is an easy way to keep an eye on accuracy.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/watch-tracker/id610666926
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

So, for sentimental reasons, this would be the one watch I would keep forever. Seiko 5 40th Anniversary Ref. SKZ205K1. It doesn't keep great time at -15 seconds a day or so. I set it two min fast on Sunday and by the following Sunday it is almost dead on.

One of these days I need to clean up the tungsten bezel insert by repainting the marks and numbers and replacing the pip. There is a guy locally who does a lot of Seiko customizations and I wouldn't mind swapping the flat prospex crystal for a domed AR sapphire. It's not your eyes, Seiko let these out with a fat gap around the bezel insert and crystal.

Name:  IMG_2550.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  36.4 KB

I'm changing watch #3.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    One watch: Tudor Pelagos 39.
    https://media.tudorwatch.com/image/u...r-m25407n-0001

Two watches: ...and a Cartier Tank SolarBeat.
    https://www.cartier.com/dw/image/v2/...m=fit&sfrm=png

Three watches: ...and a Seiko "Arnie".
    Might just be the honeymoon period, but it has solar power, is easier (for me) to set and adjust the time and utilize the different features, and it's more legible than the CasiOak is.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Haven't seen an Arnie in awhile, very nice really like the color combo on that. I have a solar Tuna with the same coloring.

User Tag List