Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enigma + G17 = cut knuckles?

Enigma + G17 = cut knuckles?

Newbie here. I'm practicing holster draws with my new Phlster Enigma and keep cutting the middle knuckle of the middle finger on my draw hand on either the Enigma's Tegris material or else the edges on the wing. I think I have longish fingers? Do I need to add some backstrap to my G17 (currently running with none) to move my knuckle to the side? Maybe my draw technique is just terrible and I'm doing something fundamentally incorrect?

Holding it like shown below is comfortable to me and is what I'm used to outside the holster. But I end up cutting myself as I try to bury my hand and build that grip. I think the negative feedback is causing me to build a worse grip. Please feel free to constructively critique...

Name:  IMG_20240430_212404693.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  54.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20240430_212411661_HDR.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  52.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_20240430_212449115.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  33.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20240430_215115718_HDR.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  71.4 KB

Unfortunately I don't have your exact setup. However I have a JM aiwb 2.0 and tried multiple wings on it (including the one you have) and with everyone I got knuckle crash. I did post it to the board and a few guys said to cut the wing down a little and I think that was sound advice. However, I didn't like the holster style for other reasons and I just got a different style holster that I like better. Oddly, I don't see a lot of people having this issue. Looking to hear what others say though.

Yeah, welcome to the party pal. I’ve a nice callouse right there 😁
    #RESIST

You can take a Dremel with a flap wheel and soften some of the sharper edges. You can apply moleskin, but it's going to come off so unless you really like cleaning off adhesive residue and reapplying it might want to stick with rounding off edges. If you prep and clamp correctly it can last for a good bit.

Hmm I never had any knuckle rub on my enigmas, in fact I have ample room. I only use JM enigma shells though so that might be part of it.

Maybe try just adding a little bit of cant and experiment. You don’t need a lot at all but it may help get you a little bit more clearance. At least it is a free and easy option to test.

Site Supporter

Enigma + G17 = cut knuckles?

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    You can take a Dremel with a flap wheel and soften some of the sharper edges. You can apply moleskin, but it's going to come off so unless you really like cleaning off adhesive residue and reapplying it might want to stick with rounding off edges. If you prep and clamp correctly it can last for a good bit.
    I would be careful about doing anything to potentially damage the frame material. The Enigma frame appears to be made of some kind of laminate material that looks like it would easily start delaminating if the edges aren’t somehow sealed after their integrity is compromised.

Maybe just wrapping the frame with vet wrap to blunt the edges would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I used a very tiny bead of shoe glue and then a layer of hockey tape on my enigma, doesn’t “fix” it but it works well enough to mitigate the edge.

Agree with the comment about working the material, I would expect it to delaminate in short order.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    I would be careful about doing anything to potentially damage the frame material. The Enigma frame appears to be made of some kind of laminate material that looks like it would easily start delaminating if the edges aren’t somehow sealed after their integrity is compromised.

Maybe just wrapping the frame with vet wrap to blunt the edges would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That's a good point, and it would have been better if I mentioned that any modifications will void your warranty.

My experience is that using a high speed high heat method like a flap wheel to take down edges doesn't cause delamination issues. Not much material is being removed and the heat of the process seems to seal the edge. Phlster specifically recommends against this, or any cutting, drilling, or sanding of the material. That's what the 'pappoose' line of products was developed for. But I view it as just part of putting reasonably priced products out in commercial quantities and I'm used to modifying products for my needs.

I'll be more careful with warranty voiding advice in the future.

I am using a Phlster Pro holster with my enigma and have tons of clearance.

I did use a JMCK shell at first, but the Pro works better me.

OP is that the Express? I had the same issue with full size pistols. Works fine with an LCR though. Also fine with a 48 but I used a different manufacturer’s holster.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List