Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speer 147 G2

It completely failed my 4LD test and had a passthrough on a jackrabbit at 10 yds. HST has been 100% reliable when shot through the same media. I just did a windshield test on 124 gr standard pressure and 147 gr HST and both penetrated with no deflection and minimal deflection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    It completely failed my 4LD test and had a passthrough on a jackrabbit at 10 yds. HST has been 100% reliable when shot through the same media. I just did a windshield test on 124 gr standard pressure and 147 gr HST and both penetrated with no deflection and minimal deflection.
    We (my Agency) tested it a few years ago and decided to stick with standard Gold Dot.

Edit: "No deflection up or down (punched straight through) and minimal deviation of the bullet after going through the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazmatt View Post
    Tokarev
    07-14-2020, 08:17 AM
    Just announced late last week is a contract with Speer for a new 147gr load to accompany CBP's transition to the Glock. The new bullet is the Speer G2SR. I haven't seen any of the ammo yet (and likely won't for some time) but it is rumored to be a nickle plated case and a black oxide bullet. I believe this was done as a way to allow easy visual verification that duty ammo is being load/used vs training ammo. In years past CBP used Federal XM40 that was basically Federal HST without the nickle plated case. Training ammo was a Winchester 180gr FMJ with a purple stain to denote that it was training use only. Aside from that possibility, there could be some corrosion/tarnish benefit to the black coating.

Anyway, ammo testing was conducted by NIJ Labs with the following results:

SPEER 147gr G2SR

Muzzle Velocity 913 FPS (no note of barrel length)

Bare Gel: 14.4” .654” expansion 100% retained weight

Heavy Clothing: 15.9” .623” expansion 100% retained weight

Steel: 14.8” .507” expansion 100% retained weight

Auto Glass: 14.7” .465” expansion 78% retained weight (114.4 gr)

The current loads being used for the Glock transition are a Speer 124gr Gold Dot +P and a Winchester 147gr Ranger. These loads will continue to be used until the new Speer comes online in 2021.

The above is a cut and paste from an earlier post in regards to DHS adopting the round. I also heard rumors of failures but the ammo is issued out in wide spread use by a bunch of agencies. I’ve also heard rumors about the current gen hst etc. IDK I’d carry whatever I had issued to me. and trust NIJ and whoever else is testing these rounds knows their job.

That’s interesting. I’m certain current offerings on the market more than adequately fit their needs and there’s no reason to choose a load that’s not commercially available. I’m still intrigued with this G2SR though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazmatt View Post
    The above is a cut and paste from an earlier post in regards to DHS adopting the round. I also heard rumors of failures but the ammo is issued out in wide spread use by a bunch of agencies. I’ve also heard rumors about the current gen hst etc. IDK I’d carry whatever I had issued to me. and trust NIJ and whoever else is testing these rounds knows their job.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdequatleySupervised View Post
    That’s interesting. I’m certain current offerings on the market more than adequately fit their needs and there’s no reason to choose a load that’s not commercially available. I’m still intrigued with this G2SR though.
    A few months prior to being killed in the April 2024 Charlotte shootout, Lyonsgrid posted a picture of this ammo as issued by his agency. It was specifically listed on the box as being for the short barrel pistol variants. I haven't heard of it replacing G2 en masse, though it'd probably make sense since it will obviously work for both short barrels and 4"+ guns.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I recall that within the first year or two of the bureau issuing G2, there were frequent issues with the “goo” filling the hollow points falling out when carried for a while.

I’m assuming that issue was addressed. ?
    I believe the issue was the goo on the initial batches sat proud of the bullet and would get physically destroyed/partially pulled out by friction from rubbing against the inside of the mag body. This concerned people. We got an agency wide notice about it when that was addressed, and that the rounds would still perform regardless as long as there was still some goo in the cavity. Regardless, they changed the manufacturing so that the goo doesn't sit proud of the bullet anymore just to be safe. Note that there was no actual recall, as the ammo was still considered functional.

That was 2016 or so.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

HST has been 100% reliable when shot through the same media. I just did a windshield test on 124 gr standard pressure and 147 gr HST and both penetrated with no deflection and minimal deflection.
    I know the G2 represents a newer design, but the HST has always been well regarded here. Curious though if the P9HST2 round enjoys any significant LE contracts? Obviously a lot of agencies take their steer from the FBI, so it would follow that other agencies would select Speer G2 and Hornady Critical Duty.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I know of a shooting with G2 where the suspect was shot many times (i.e. Swiss cheese) and 80% of the rounds did not expand at all. The rounds were fired from MP5’s.

The FBI still uses G2, but does not allow it in the G43/43X’s because of expansion issues. Those guns have to have Critical Duty in them.
    You had me at “MP5” 😁
    #RESIST

An MP5SD shoots bullets at a lower velocity than a standard MP5. If an MP5SD was involved, then that might be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    An MP5SD shoots bullets at a lower velocity than a standard MP5. If an MP5SD was involved, then that might be the answer.
    At a LE ballistic gelatin shoot I attended, an MP5SD slowed Federal 9BPLE 115 +P+ JHP down to the point it didn't expand and went right through a gel block like ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    That's a really good point. @TC215, any idea if they were -SD variants?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List