Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of laser or brighter light? For HD and outdoor carry (TLR-8AG vs X300U)

Lightbulb Benefits of laser or brighter light? For HD and outdoor carry (TLR-8AG vs X300U)

For my home-defense (and outdoors) pistol (a Glock 32 in .357sig and .40) I'm debating between getting a Streamlight TLR-8AG or a Surefire X300U.

I guess the debate boils down to what's more beneficial:
    • A decent light with the benefits of a laser? (Streamlight TLR-8AG) or
    • A stronger light with other benefits (compensator for .357sig, plus out-of-battery protection due to protrusion of light (Surefire X300U))

Which option would you say is more beneficial, for home-defense (and occasional CCW, especially in the woods) use?

Lasers have great benefits, but the out-of-battery protection and added compensation of the heavier X300U also sounds very beneficial.

I've listed out a comparison for reference:

Streamlight TLR-8AG (Laser + Light):

Pros:
    - Benefits of laser light
    - Easier to conceal

Cons:
    - Weaker light
    - Flush with barrel (G32), more chance of out-of-battery in grappling situation

Surefire X300U (Light)

Pros:
    - Brighter light
    - Heavier weight acts as a compensator against .357sig / .40 recoil
    - Can help from G32 going out-of-battery in grapple situation
    - More durable

Cons:
    - Harder to conceal
    - No laser

Thanks in advance for any insights.

I have had CT lasers on our defensive pistols for ever but never had lights. I was always worried that a light tells the bad guy where to shoot. Then 4 years ago I shot my first idpa night match. I used a light/laser combo from CT w/ a 100 lumen light. That was plenty of light for a 30'x30' area dug into a hillside. And it convinced me to ad lights to our home pistols. I went w/ another 100 lumen light since the lasers were built into the grip panels. My concern for inside the house is that too bright a light would ruin my night vision and force me to run the light constantly once I first turned it on. OTOH 100-200 lumen isn't going to do much to blind a bad guy. Last year I upgraded my idpa pistol to a Streamlight TLR2G mainly because TLR1s and 2s are fairly common w/ holster makers. It is 300 lumen and of course works well. BTW especially for outdoors, if that situation ever arises, a green laser is much better than red.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    ... Last year I upgraded my idpa pistol to a Streamlight TLR2G mainly because TLR1s and 2s are fairly common w/ holster makers.
    This is a point to consider.

I like helping folks finding holsters for their guns, but if you look enough you'll quickly realize, there are a lot of quality holsters that get eliminated from a search, when somebody chooses an odd-ball light.

My current recommendation to folks planning on sticking some attachment on their gun is to find a holster they like first, and work backwards to your attachment based on what holsters are available for those attachments.

Site Supporter
    An illuminated optic will be visible under more conditions than a red laser. I have no experience with green lasers. We have an entire subforum devoted to red dot sights which is loaded with good information.

If concealed carry is a consideration, you absolutely want a smaller light. Even a gun with a smaller light becomes a lot to fit inside your waistband.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Is it just me, or does the Glock 32 seems like a suboptimal choice in general? Seems like a terrible compromise gun, when something like a 9mm Glock would be far superior for self-defense use against humans, while a 10mm or possibly a .45 ACP would be better against wildlife.

Anyway, if you're concerned about light output, why isn't the X400U or TLR-10 on the table? Or just get an X300U/X300T and throw on a CrimsonTrace LaserGrip.

I've never owned an X300-series light; I have only owned X400-series for pistol WMLs (had an X400, multiple X400U-GNs, currently using X400UH-GNs, hoping against hope that one day they might release some high candela versions of the X400UH). I have found visible pointers to be very helpful, particularly in low-light situations, even when used in-conjunction with an RDS. That being said, my use of the visible pointer are in fairly niche situations
    • gross aiming at a large target at speed (the pointer being visible sooner than the RDS assuming proper switchology)
    • unorthodox positions where my index with the RDS is weaker
    • shooting on the move at speed on rougher terrain (where moving faster makes it extremely difficult to keep an RDS window in view)
    • some visual indicator of where I'm aiming during shooting from retention
    • back sighting system

However, most of those things can also be accomplished to almost as high a degree of accuracy as simply using a well practiced slide index.

The additional bulk for me has never been an issue, though I also tend to be seen as an extreme outlier for this situation. Holsters can be problematic, particularly if you're looking for an ALS-type duty holster, but if you're satisfied with just having a normal concealment holster and/or a hood-type duty holster, you can find holster makers that will accommodate any of the Streamlight or SureFire options with something like a Glock.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 05-06-2024 at 09:43 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sigsag1 View Post
    For my home-defense (and outdoors) pistol (a Glock 32 in .357sig and .40) I'm debating between getting a Streamlight TLR-8AG or a Surefire X300U.

I guess the debate boils down to what's more beneficial:
    • A decent light with the benefits of a laser? (Streamlight TLR-8AG) or
    • A stronger light with other benefits (compensator for .357sig, plus out-of-battery protection due to protrusion of light (Surefire X300U))

Which option would you say is more beneficial, for home-defense (and occasional CCW, especially in the woods) use?

Lasers have great benefits, but the out-of-battery protection and added compensation of the heavier X300U also sounds very beneficial.

I've listed out a comparison for reference:

Streamlight TLR-8AG (Laser + Light):

Pros:
    - Benefits of laser light
    - Easier to conceal

Cons:
    - Weaker light
    - Flush with barrel (G32), more chance of out-of-battery in grappling situation

Surefire X300U (Light)

Pros:
    - Brighter light
    - Heavier weight acts as a compensator against .357sig / .40 recoil
    - Can help from G32 going out-of-battery in grapple situation
    - More durable

Cons:
    - Harder to conceal
    - No laser

Thanks in advance for any insights.
    X300 (T or U)

Target, identification and discrimination is a moral and legal imperative.

Shooting is a visual activity and fighting with guns is a series of competing time cycles. More light let you see sooner and faster, which intern let you make quicker and better decisions.

The whole argument of lights are going to give your position away is a matter of tactics and proper application of light. You either have light or you don’t and when you do have light more light is better.

Small lights like the TLR seven and TLR eight are compromises for guns that are carried concealed. 500 lm with Low. Candela is better than nothing but sub optimal for home defense gun.

Lasers have a few niche uses on pistols but they are very much uses at fall under the category of possible versus probable. For practical use, a pistol mounted optic is superior to a pistol mounted laser.

I also agree with default MP3 that the Glock 32 is a sub optimal choice.

A Glock 19 size gun is significantly easier to shoot well and make effective hits with in 9mm millimeter.

.357 SIG ammunition is expensive and increasingly difficult to source. Even in it’s heyday it was only made in batches.

I believe there are only two agencies of any size, both state police agencies that are still using .357 sig (NC &VA).

All of the federal agencies that previously used 357 SIG have transitioned to 9 mm.

If I had to run a pistol in 357 sig I would want a SIG P226 or P229. They are the only .357 service pistols that proved durable and reliable in LE use.

If I had to use a Glock in 357 sig I’d want a Gen 4 G31. But unless someone was giving me free 357 SIG ammunition, I would prefer a Glock in 9 mm or a generation five clock 22 if I had to run a Glock in 40.

Yes, I am aware. There were some small agencies which issued Glocks in 357 SIG. everyone that I’m aware of where the type of agency that shoots hundred rounds once a year. Those that actually shot them enough to maintain any real proficiency say 1000 rounds a year quickly found durablity and reliability issues.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-06-2024 at 10:57 AM.

Site Supporter
    Re: lasers @TCinVA Just posted this in another thread and I agree with him so quoting this here rather than re-inventing the wheel:

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball
    TCinVA's Avatar Join Date
    Feb 2011
    I use lasers on guns that have terrible sights. Examples would be a Ruger LCP or a S&W 638. The laser is a massive boon to being able to hit at speed with those guns.

The laser in general is seen as a positive because it puts the aiming reference on the target, which is extremely useful especially in low light.

The problem is that lasers are incredibly fragile and even the newer green lasers are difficult to see in daylight. Their adjustment mechanisms can be somewhat delicate and can shift zero without being obvious unless you regularly check the laser's position against your iron sights.

I don't have lasers on guns that have useful sights as I've not found them to really add any practical benefit to the use of those pistols.

As for novices, I don't find that lasers present significant benefit unless they have vision issues to the point where they can't see a useful sight picture. All most novices really need is a more effective model for the use of iron sights and the worries about that tend to disappear.

Lasers will give you a useful aiming reference for situations where you might be trying to fire a gun that isn't in your eyeline...but I'm having a hard time imagining what those situations would actually be. If I'm shooting with the gun out of my eyeline then I'm most likely shooting from a retention position because I'm a close quarters tangle where I'm relying on my #2 index to put lead into the other dude. In any other circumstance there shouldn't be a barrier to getting the gun into my eyeline.

The laser moves around a good deal on target and that causes hesitation and the dreaded NOW syndrome where somebody sees the dot where they want it and they grip the gun harder while stabbing the trigger violently moving the gun completely off target. So for your typical under-trained shooter it can actually be counterproductive for them.

Where I use the laser most is during instruction. It's fantastic for allowing me to illustrate things visually. I taught a Pistol 1 class on Saturday where I used the laser to illustrate how much movement there is in the gun. The clients can't see through my eyes, but they can see the dot moving around on the target and figure out that my gun isn't still either, and that I can get excellent accuracy despite the movement by keeping my grip consistent and working the trigger with some sympathy. I especially like using the laser to illustrate over-gripping the gun as hard as I can. The gun shakes violently and the laser's dot is essentially a blur on the target, and then I hammer through the trigger and usually put one in the X ring or at worst the 10 ring and they literally see how much the visual experience behind the gun exaggerates accuracy worries at typical defensive distances.

It's also brilliant for showing the effectiveness of various recoil control techniques, especially for one handed shooting. The laser gives them a visual reference downrange to see how much the gun is actually moving when I shoot it because most can't really tell that by looking at me from the side.

The problem with light/laser combo units is that the laser typically sits under the light giving you a real bitch of an offset problem, resulting in a lot of complicated decisions on how you go about zeroing the laser, at what distance, and then figuring out what offset is to deliver accurate shots. Remembering your offset with a laser way the hell away from your muzzle under life or death stress is not easy and I'm skeptical of anyone who hasn't actually performed extremely well under high level competitive pressure or in actual fights who tells me they can reliably get that right when the proverbial feces hit the fan.

The only killer app for a pistol mounted laser I’ve found was when using NODS. If I keep my red dot on the night vision setting, the laser works great for transitions to white light. I’ve had good results out to 25yds, using a parallel zero for the laser.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    If you want to shoot 357 SIG, I'm not gonna tell you not to. That's a different discussion.

If you've ever done any kind of night or low-light shooting, you'll quickly see the benefits of a light. People can get all hung up on "better" lights, when you really just need a light.

I've rarely seen the benefit of a laser. At longer distances, it doesn't help you more than a red dot. At minimal or "contact" distances, you're probably not using it that much anyway. (On the flip side, if you don't have a red dot then a laser might have some use.)

All that to say: I have a light on my HD Glock 17, it's basically free to put it on and forget about it. I don't have one on any of my carry guns.

User Tag List