Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: DEA to reclassify Marijuana from schedule I to schedule III

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I agree. I also believe that we need to be too harsh for a while to counteract being much too lenient. My opinion might be swayed a bit as I just returned from a business trip to San Jose, CA. If I did not see it with my own eyes, I would not believe what upper middle class neighborhoods (Los Gatos) have become. San Jose itself was even worse.
    Farscott what did you see in Los Gatos? Was it drunk driving related?

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Farscott what did you see in Los Gatos? Was it drunk driving related?
    Saw some DUI and saw some disturbed people around Teleferic Barcelona where we had dinner. The food was great, but I now know why the bar and kitchen both close at 9:00 PM. The walk back to our vehicle was interesting.

Deputy Frank Sloup tries to find a driver who hasn’t smoked weed. I don’t drink or do drugs, and I hate people who think it’s fine to drive under the influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    DUI crashes look somewhat violent to me…….
    That's an astute observation, thank you for sharing.

The post I was responding to was advocating such penalties for a simple DUI, which is a charge that does not automatically involve a crash.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    With Marijuana being rescheduled, will that mean people with a medical marijuana prescription will now legally be able to possess firearms?
    SAF is currently litigating this at multiple levels (and winning). So, I think the answer is, yes almost certainly. Maybe not right away, but within the next 3-5 years is my guess.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    SAF is currently litigating this at multiple levels (and winning). So, I think the answer is, yes almost certainly. Maybe not right away, but within the next 3-5 years is my guess.
    Stoned people with guns: what could possibly go wrong?
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

On the subject of drunk driving, my state is currently advancing bills to lower the BAC threshold to .05 for DUI through the monoparty legislature. Pretty sure it’s going to happen. I personally think this is a bad idea, since it will have a major impact on our craft winery, beer, and overall entertainment industries, globally—large industries that are a big part of our economy that already ate a mountain of shit during the shutdown.

This is coming from a guy who—along with his wife—almost got killed by a drunk driver on our wedding anniversary by a van that ran through 2 red lights, hit the intersection of our driver’s door/engine compartment/A pillar (thank God, or I’d not be here typing this) and pinned us up against a building, wedging us between a traffic light pole and the front door of the corner business (which was a dive bar, ironically). First responders eventually pried us out via our sedan’s back doors; our crash scene was on the evening news of our local channels. Rest assured, I take a VERY dim view of drunk driving, but I also know that the 3 guys in the van that made a mockery of our lives for 6 years ALL were over .20. All 3 had suspended licenses for repeated DUI, and all 3 had multiple felonies on their records. Had the police been able to figure out which one was actually in the driver’s seat, that person would have gone away for good under WA’s 3-strike laws. I *know* (knew) people who were killed by drunk drivers; none of those drivers were blowing anywhere near as low as .05. The last one was hit by someone blowing well into the .2 range (.28, IIRC)

So there’s “drunk driving” and then there is DRUNK driving. That’s just my experience of things. No doubt there are career street cops who have more expert input. I’d be very interested in opinions from resident P-F blue on .05 limiting as the threshold for DUI. Given that 2 6oz glasses of red wine will reportedly put a guy my weight (175ish) at over .05, I’d guess that 50 percent of any audience hearing me play classical music at a winery concert series are hitting .05 at some point during the gig, but I don’t have any way of knowing for sure.

This a hot topic for me, since I’ve A, barely escaped death or life-shattering injury caused by a career drunk, and B, rely on alcohol sales and consumption for a decent chunk of my living.

It is interesting watching multiple friends, colleagues, and acquaintances who have been all “Go Dems!” as the legislature passes one uncontested gun control bill after another suddenly switch to “Wait… what? Fuck the Dems!” upon realizing that the anti-bacchanal nanny state they voted for is now pitting the threat of DUI against every brew pub, weekend concert, and movie night.

But I digress. Input on .05 welcome.
    The most powerful and harmful influence Trump has had on our politics…has been the effect on his opponents. They have been triggered into an orgy of self-mutilation—eager to amputate their own history and disfigure their own political traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’d be very interested in opinions from resident P-F blue on .05 limiting as the threshold for DUI.
    Ridiculous. I've seen hundreds of DUI crashes, and can't recall a single one with a BAC that low.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    On the subject of drunk driving, my state is currently advancing bills to lower the BAC threshold to .05 for DUI through the monoparty legislature. Pretty sure it’s going to happen. I personally think this is a bad idea, since it will have a major impact on our craft winery, beer, and overall entertainment industries, globally—large industries that are a big part of our economy that already ate a mountain of shit during the shutdown.

This is coming from a guy who—along with his wife—almost got killed by a drunk driver on our wedding anniversary by a van that ran through 2 red lights, hit the intersection of our driver’s door/engine compartment/A pillar (thank God, or I’d not be here typing this) and pinned us up against a building, wedging us between a traffic light pole and the front door of the corner business (which was a dive bar, ironically). First responders eventually pried us out via our sedan’s back doors; our crash scene was on the evening news of our local channels. Rest assured, I take a VERY dim view of drunk driving, but I also know that the 3 guys in the van that made a mockery of our lives for 6 years ALL were over .20. All 3 had suspended licenses for repeated DUI, and all 3 had multiple felonies on their records. Had the police been able to figure out which one was actually in the driver’s seat, that person would have gone away for good under WA’s 3-strike laws. I *know* (knew) people who were killed by drunk drivers; none of those drivers were blowing anywhere near as low as .05. The last one was hit by someone blowing well into the .2 range (.28, IIRC)

So there’s “drunk driving” and then there is DRUNK driving. That’s just my experience of things. No doubt there are career street cops who have more expert input. I’d be very interested in opinions from resident P-F blue on .05 limiting as the threshold for DUI. Given that 2 6oz glasses of red wine will reportedly put a guy my weight (175ish) at over .05, I’d guess that 50 percent of any audience hearing me play classical music at a winery concert series are hitting .05 at some point during the gig, but I don’t have any way of knowing for sure.

This a hot topic for me, since I’ve A, barely escaped death or life-shattering injury caused by a career drunk, and B, rely on alcohol sales and consumption for a decent chunk of my living.

It is interesting watching multiple friends, colleagues, and acquaintances who have been all “Go Dems!” as the legislature passes one uncontested gun control bill after another suddenly switch to “Wait… what? Fuck the Dems!” upon realizing that the anti-bacchanal nanny state they voted for is now pitting the threat of DUI against every brew pub, weekend concert, and movie night.

But I digress. Input on .05 welcome.
    You make some really good points. I am particularly sympathetic to the small businesses that would be hurt by reducing that limit.

Two drinks in a sufficiently short time period would put some people over that new limit. My opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it, is that I have never judged anyone for two drinks or less at any given occasion, but I start to wonder at the third drink.

Reducing the legal limit may seem like a good way to appear to be tough on drunk driving, but increasing the penalties on the people who are truly drunk, and driving, would likely do more good.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    Ridiculous. I've seen hundreds of DUI crashes, and can't recall a single one with a BAC that low.
    That’s sort of what I thought. Thanks for the input.
    The most powerful and harmful influence Trump has had on our politics…has been the effect on his opponents. They have been triggered into an orgy of self-mutilation—eager to amputate their own history and disfigure their own political traditions.

User Tag List