Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Factory 230g Flat Nose for the Range?

Factory 230g Flat Nose for the Range?

I need to restock on 230g .45 ACP for range use - I’m on a .45 kick. I do not currently reload and probably won’t be anytime soon. I was thinking finding a reasonable flat point load would be wise, ball chambers like butter in most guns but won’t point up feeding issues with HPs.

Any suggestions? Winchester does a load (RED45) but when I search I’ve seen a few posts elsewhere complaining about how smoky it is and alluding to chambering issues.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

The only thing worse than arrogance is false humility.

Reloading for 45ACP is definitely worth it. Find yourself a deal on a Dillon 550 and you can make recipes to suit your needs.

I like truncated cone (TC) or semi wadcutter (SWC) for target use. The holes in the paper are much cleaner.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Why a flat point? What's the benefit? Bang for the buck will be FMJ. I use JHPs or SWCs for Bullseye matches and only because I load my own. For pure accuracy, the JHPs or SWCs are the way to go, but for practice or action pistol, I'd say FMJ is the way to go.

If I didn't load I'd just buy Armscor or PMC FMJ round nose. I've never tried Armscor but PMC is good quality and not too expensive.

I buy a lot of shotgun ammo from https://southerndefense.com/armscor-...+ACP%2FAuto-50
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Reloading for 45ACP is definitely worth it. Find yourself a deal on a Dillon 550 and you can make recipes to suit your needs.

I like truncated cone (TC) or semi wadcutter (SWC) for target use. The holes in the paper are much cleaner.
    I have a Square Deal B with ACP dies in storage, but I just don’t have the time right now to tune up. I’d rather just buy commercial for the immediate future.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Why a flat point? What's the benefit? Bang for the buck will be FMJ. I use JHPs or SWCs for Bullseye matches and only because I load my own. For pure accuracy, the JHPs or SWCs are the way to go, but for practice or action pistol, I'd say FMJ is the way to go.
    Because a FP will feed more like a HP profile, no other reason. I’ve had guns that run 100% on RN but choke on HPs.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Flatnosed FMJ is not as easily deflected in oblique impacts against hard surfaces such as bones, auto bodies or laminated safety glass.

Better barrier penetration. Better soft target crush than FMJRN, does not "flip" in soft targets, for reliable straight, deeper penetration than JHP which is fragile enough to expand from barrels shorter than 4 inches. Complete pass-throughs on deer, hogs, wild horses or cattle.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 05-18-2024 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I have a Square Deal B with ACP dies in storage, but I just don’t have the time right now to tune up. I’d rather just buy commercial for the immediate future.

Because a FP will feed more like a HP profile, no other reason. I’ve had guns that run 100% on RN but choke on HPs.
    Probably just better off getting guns that feed what you want to feed them than practicing with ammo that might replicate failures and guns that are known for failures?

If the recoil impulse and ogive are not exactly like whatever it is your testing for, then it’s pissing in the wind or more precisely false confidence

Reasons I prefer reloading with Hornady 230 JTC (flat point) and Hornady HAP projectiles: much less spall coming back from steel targets, more energy transfer in a glancing impact, easy-to-score holes in competition targets, fully encapsulated bases, and excellent accuracy.

I was fortunate to have stocked up on a particularly large quantity of the 230 HAP’s 25 years ago- priced today, they’re a bit eye-watering, if one can even find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Probably just better off getting guns that feed what you want to feed them than practicing with ammo that might replicate failures and guns that are known for failures?

If the recoil impulse and ogive are not exactly like whatever it is your testing for, then it’s pissing in the wind or more precisely false confidence
    Chicken or the egg. How do you know what will feed without shooting it? I’m not going to use defensive ammunition for range sessions beyond what is needed to prove operation. By that standard, shooting FMJ is pissing in the wind.

I like HST, maybe the solution is to buy Syntech TSJ like what is offered here:

https://www.federalpremium.com/handg...HST2TM100.html
    Ken

User Tag List