Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: A new EDC TQ

Feedback from the units I bought and passed around, both narrow and wide. Summarized with my words, in no particular order or value assigned unless noted. Some got reminders to consider ETQ in its intended context, not as a direct competitor to others. As expected, this was mostly an issue with those with existing training or product preference.

• Functional as TQ.
    • Better than nothing.
    • Better than some of the elastic options. (Usually followed 1-handed self-applications.)
    • Favorable comments on the QR code, easy to find product video, and the 3 printed lines of instruction.
    • Plenty of reps and applications, tension and duration varied. TQs held up. Hook and loop still good.
    • 1” is too thin, wide is preferred width.
    • "Felt cheap", other comments on overall perception of construction.
    • Glo-stick comments range from indifference to gimmick. A few thought it was some sort of level. Only one user enthusiastic about it. Possibly advantageous if activated prior to an event (training, hit, etc) and if red rather than green.
    • Glo-stick is replaceable, not sure when/why you'd replace it on a single-use item. Instructors recognized it could be replaced on training units for classes/reps, but wouldn't.
    • Windlass “feels small.”
    • Windlass trouble: Gate/clip too tall, got in the way of windlass rotation sometimes. Center of windlass and rotation point is too close to the gate, windlass is too short for best leverage especially one-handed.
    • Windlass trouble: Spring bar inside clip could be pushed down, but sometimes not enough room inside for windlass to clear it and allow it to pop back up.
    • Both windlass troubles exacerbated by the windlass (rolling?) to the left relative to the gate. As it was rotated clockwise the tension band passing through the windlass gathers material underneath, even when strap is properly pulled tight.
    • Because of above, one-handed applications were more complicated/difficult than other similar designs (CAT/SOF/TMT).
    • Some had seen ETQ already, a couple tried to order, but gave up when constantly out of stock.
    • When EDC context considered, not enough smaller/thinner/lighter to replace CATv7 or SOF.
    • No advantage to the ETQ over SOF or CAT when in a kit, pouch, or bag.
    • CAT fans: leave the gate/clip open, make the wings on the top of the gate same size.
    • SOF fans: lots of plastic, plastic used in ETQ is suspect.
    • Common: not necessarily a bad TQ, but “why?”
    • Questions about any tests of durability after longer term heat & cold cycling or extremes such as in a car or on kit.
    • Questions about UV exposure testing.
    • ETQ is same price as known-good SOF and CAT, would consider ETQ if cheaper. Suggested price point of $25 or less.
    • Package a live and trainer combo "value-pack" at $40.

I won't add these to my kits, no gain over my current preferences. I'll use the ETQ wides as trainers and exemplars and see when they appreciably wear or break. I have no use for the narrows.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Personally I think comparisons of the ETQ to a CAT or SOF-T aren’t really well placed.

I wouldn’t carry an Sig 365XL in a Safariland duty holster on a war belt.

If people will carry an ETQ when they won’t carry anything else I just don’t see how one can be critical of the product unless it just flat out didn’t work.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Personally I think comparisons of the ETQ to a CAT or SOF-T aren’t really well placed.

If people will carry an ETQ when they won’t carry anything else I just don’t see how one can be critical of the product unless it just flat out didn’t work.
    I received my tourniquets today. They are going to help ensure that I have a tourniquet on my person or at least in my outside jacket pocket at times when I might not otherwise have one.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Can you use this on a severed finger? Asking for a friend…
    Steel glowing red hot for when the Dremel's cut-off wheel slips?
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post

I bought a few ETQ recently for this very purpose. I was not carrying a TQ off duty, couldn't find a way to do it. The ETQ carries easily in a G19 AIWB pouch, allowing me to finally carry one. Even better, it fits in my Harley's handlebar bag, allowing me to have a TQ on my bike. There's a CAT on my duty belt, but an ETQ off duty.

I got the carrier for the ETQ from coyote tactical.

I’m tucking the molle mounting strap into the back so it’s not loose in my front pants pocket

I think this is a decent solution for protecting more of the TQ while it’s rattling around in the pockets.

Comparison to the ETQ in the phlster med wallet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I got the carrier for the ETQ from coyote tactical.

I’m tucking the molle mounting strap into the back so it’s not loose in my front pants pocket
    Nice. I like that it covers the top, where my magazine pouch leaves it exposed. Plus it fits the wide. Reckon I'll order a couple. Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    Nice. I like that it covers the top, where my magazine pouch leaves it exposed. Plus it fits the wide. Reckon I'll order a couple. Thanks for that.
    It's meant for belt carry, but I'm gonna pocket carry it. It also is easy to get the TQ out with one hand. I just got it, but i think it might be the way I carry the ETQ, going forward

Quote Originally Posted by Lowspeed_highdrag View Post
    I bought a few ETQ recently for this very purpose. I was not carrying a TQ off duty, couldn't find a way to do it. The ETQ carries easily in a G19 AIWB pouch, allowing me to finally carry one. Even better, it fits in my Harley's handlebar bag, allowing me to have a TQ on my bike. There's a CAT on my duty belt, but an ETQ off duty.
    I'm still fiddling with mine, but I don't find the ETQ to be that much smaller, comfort wise, so far. I can fit it into thinner sheaths (in a generic nylon flashlight pouch on the outside of a dad backpack now), but the rigid gate assembly makes it thicker than a flat fold SOFT-TW. But I can see how it's an improvement for CAT folks, because of that even bulkier assembly (but that's why the SOFT-TW sees more use for me).

I have plenty of length and width I can carry in a pants pocket, on an ankle, or in a blazer pocket. An OWB sheath is a no go for my life, and I can still get the SOFT-T flatter.

That, and how easily the velcro side flips over on application, making it slower to secure before cranking the windlass makes me think it might not be for me (or us: I thought I could get the wife to carry one that could reasonably fit a smaller purse/fanny pack.)

Still playing with it.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Site Supporter
    One of the two I ordered replaced the SWAT-T in one of the pocket kits I use from Dark Angel Medical. That kit lives in a jacket pocket during any weather when a jacket is helpful.

User Tag List