Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Agencies dropping Stacatto?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

I admit be being somewhat drawn to the Tisas Raider just because it looks cool. Money would arguably be better spent on a Kimber Warrior or whatever. Or just get a Springfield and have it painted FDE.
    I would buy a TISAS Raider long before I'd buy a Kimber Desert Warrior or Warrior SOC.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’m still trying to understand why anyone thought a 2011 was a better duty gun than a Glock.
    Raceguns are cool.

And shooting pretty B8's is cool.

And it is a hell of a lot easier to get a higher bullseye score with a 1911's trigger.

And as obnoxiously huge as the 2011's grip is, it still steers less than a typical Glock grip in a typical person's hand.

Glocks are Toyota Corollas. You ever tried to do donuts in a Corolla?
    3/15/2016

M&Ps had the firing pin block exposed in the slide when the rear sight was removed. Other than the possibility of losing or bending the spring during detailed disassembly did this cause problems? ]
    Their optics ready guns have a small plate that holds a shorter spring down with a tiny fastener. That is then typically reenforced in place by the optic and the optic plate. Or on factory cut guns, just the optic.

Trouble is having that protrusion on the trigger bar that can reach up and knock that block out of the way during the trigger press. Ain't a whole lot of movement on my Toe's trigger and there's not a lot of room up in there once the magazine is in.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’m still trying to understand why anyone thought a 2011 was a better duty gun than a Glock.
    Let’s count all the compelling reasons: The 2011 is less reliable, much more expensive, heavier, more complex mechanically, more complex to use, less safe mechanically, and less safe to use. Of course, the best reason of all is that you can shoot faster splits.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Raceguns are cool.

And shooting pretty B8's is cool.

And it is a hell of a lot easier to get a higher bullseye score with a 1911's trigger.

And as obnoxiously huge as the 2011's grip is, it still steers less than a typical Glock grip in a typical person's hand.

Glocks are Toyota Corollas. You ever tried to do donuts in a Corolla?
    Start driving in a tight circle and then manually pull the emergency brake on and control the slide with that keeping foot to floor.

My brother had some Popo friends that convinced him to get a 320 (Glocks are garbage) as they had adopted it early on. After problems and lack of response, the new boss put them back in Glocks and they’re very happy. Now my brother friends there talk shit about the 320.

People are always looking for the latest and greatest or as I like to say, looking for hardware solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    …as they had adopted it early on.
    That’s the other head scratcher: Early adopters of life safety equipment.

10 years from now, or maybe even 5, if STI (whoops I mean Staccato) can figure out how to turn a 2011 into as reliable, safe, and durable a weapon as a Glock, than maybe I’d consider one. Probably not, but anyway.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Their optics ready guns have a small plate that holds a shorter spring down with a tiny fastener. That is then typically reenforced in place by the optic and the optic plate. Or on factory cut guns, just the optic.
    I think the later M&Ps have a little plastic bumper deal that snaps into the top of the spring. The early ones just had a flat metal disk. It could sometimes take 11 fingers and three hands to keep the disk in place during assembly.

The plunger system could be made to work in the Stack A Tow if they wanted to put the smallest amount of effort into it.

HCM notes that there could also be some biased agenda here. A local administrator or instructor dropping the gun from a ridiculous height or dropping gun(s) over and over again until something happens.

Or it could be Staccato shipped a gun with a sub par spring.

Lots of unknowns yet. With that said it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

It's easier to hit what you intend to hit with the Toe than it is with a Glock.

When you make a mistake with the Toe, the magnitude of that mistake is less than when you make the identical mistake on the Glock.

Accuracy matters with handguns and I can absolutely see the appeal of a handgun that is easier to get the hits with. The Glock is a decent utilitarian piece of gear that works fairly well, but the ergonomics of it suck donkey water. Gaston might be many things, but an ergonomic genius ain't one of them. The Glock is ergonomic in the same way that the 1967-1970 Charger and the C2 Corvette are "aerodynamic".

The mechanical accuracy has most definitely improved in the Gen5 guns, but the grip of the gun still sucks for most hands and people are working around the gun more than having it work with them.

The Glock has been an LE standard for the last 20 years, even if it didn't really work all that well in .40 caliber versions. 15-20 years is about how long it takes for old ideas to become new again, so we're right on time for 1911's to come back hard and heavy because they are a lot easier to shoot. And now with a red dot on top of the slide people have an actual coach explaining to them what they've been doing wrong and it lets them be more accurate even if they aren't always sure exactly why. That further reenforces the desire for guns that are easier to shoot.

Thus the P320, the Walther duty guns, etc...really, really nice triggers. Probably a little too nice for duty use without a manual safety, but whatevs.

Glock has no interest in changing because they're selling every pistol they make at obscene levels of profit. What changes they've made have been minimal and reluctant because "perfection", except they're not, never have been, and never will be. Never buy your own advertising.

So why not just buy a Glock? Because they're harder to work with than they have to be.

Why not buy something like, say, an M&P instead? I did. It's great. I was just helping a buddy get his M&P 2.0 compact sighted in with his new Acro P2 yesterday. Apex trigger, but that's the only modification to the gun. It had no trouble holding X and 10 at 25 yards if you do your part on the trigger. Great guns. Without the Apex trigger in it, it's more difficult to claim those X's. But 10 ring is still easily doable.

When I make mistakes with the M&P, they're significantly closer to my intended point of aim than when I made mistakes with my Glocks. All because the grip actually works with my hands.

The Glock is a decent tool, but it's one a lot of folks have to fight with to get the results they want. I'm not surprised that people are looking elsewhere.
    3/15/2016

I think the later M&Ps have a little plastic bumper deal that snaps into the top of the spring.
    I bought my three in the last 18 months and the plate has a little metal nub that the spring sits on as a guide. It's still easy to kink the spring if you aren't careful.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Start driving in a tight circle and then manually pull the emergency brake on and control the slide with that keeping foot to floor.
    The parking brake is electronic now, bro. I think they've dropped the manual transmission, too.

This is yet another reason why the Zoomers are doomed. Their Corolla costs $47,000 and won't do donuts.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List