Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Agencies dropping Stacatto?

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I bought my three in the last 18 months and the plate has a little metal nub that the spring sits on as a guide. It's still easy to kink the spring if you aren't careful.
    Going from memory so I could be confusing the plate material or design gens.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    That’s the other head scratcher: Early adopters of life safety equipment.

10 years from now, or maybe even 5, if STI (whoops I mean Staccato) can figure out how to turn a 2011 into as reliable, safe, and durable a weapon as a Glock, than maybe I’d consider one. Probably not, but anyway.
    I bought one from a buddy for a heavily discounted price.

It shoots nice once you tune the recoil spring. It's even more concealable than I thought it would be...although it still prints under a 1/4 zip sweater.

Heavy as hell.

And it cuts me faster than a Glock does. So that's nice.

But it does get a couple more X's than my M&P at 25 yards.

And to it's credit, it's gone through about half a case of ammo with zero hint of stoppage or malfunction. Which is amazing for a 2011. I give the Toe the business with the best of them, but I do have to admit that they've done an impressive job of rolling out a gun that works pretty well.*

I don't think I'll be carrying it daily, though. The extra weight and bulk isn't conducive to my lifestyle.

* As long as you use the latest expensive magazines
    3/15/2016

Has anyone heard of terminal ballistic concerns being discussed?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Related to barrel twist or ?

Hornady recommends 1x10 twist for their ammo in a duty gun for best stability and performance through various barriers, etc.

Unfortunately it seems most 1911 9mms are 1x16 including the Stac.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Related to barrel twist or ?

Just asking if anyone has heard terminal ballistic concerns expressed.

I’m still trying to understand why anyone thought a 2011 was a better duty gun than a Glock.
    Strippers and blow.

I too find this stupid and I love xx11s. But we've discussed many times - the 19/20-11 is an enthusiast's gun. It is for someone who is capable, willing, and competent in maintenance and awareness. It's not a duty/issue gun without gunsmithing support on staff.

More importantly, we have known for 112 years that the 1911 was not the most drop safe firearm. That this is suddenly "news" demonstrates that someone didn't do their homework on xx11s.

As soon as they introduced the Beretta 92XI, the first thing I thought of was the Staccato in LE use.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/product/92xi-sao-FA0050

A less expensive gun, with a single action trigger, and manual safety, but with much less expensive and proven/reliable mags.

Just asking if anyone has heard terminal ballistic concerns expressed.
    I’ve heard some of the concerns reference barrel twist and some 9MM ammo. I will say I’ve participated in ammo testing at my former department and had a opportunity to shoot some Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain and Federal HST 147 grain into ballistic gel with my Wilson ULCC 4” barrel. Both rounds expanded and had adequate penetration as compared to Glock 17/19’s, this was about 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

Titanium pins can cause some primer flow issues but that's probably not an issue with factory ammo that's not loaded too crazy hot. They can also gall inside the firing pin channel but that's rare and probably really only an issue in hard use dry firing.
    I thought the concern was low mass-low momentum-light strikes but I could be wrong.

10 years from now, or maybe even 5, if STI (whoops I mean Staccato) can figure out how to turn a 2011 into as reliable, safe, and durable a weapon as a Glock, than maybe I’d consider one. Probably not, but anyway.
    If you read 2011 fans, their 2011s are more reliable than their Glocks. My own observation on a sample of one racing 2011 is that it has been every bit as reliable as my Glocks. So far zero stoppages in about 2500 rounds. Higher level of care, more lubrication, $100+ mags that @GJM tells me I must take apart and clean any time they hit the ground, so far worked well.
    I still carry Glocks and P365s.
    Last edited by YVK; 11-23-2023 at 01:47 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I thought the concern was low mass-low momentum-light strikes but I could be wrong.

There's probably some of that too but probably a non-issue with 19# or heavier mainsprings and good quality ammo.

It isn't a cure-all but, as I said earlier, I wouldn't be afraid to put one of these in something like a Staccato if I was worried about the lack of an active firing pin block.

User Tag List