Thread: Hornady DVRT (New tip design)

Hornady DVRT (New tip design)

Participation does not equal Proficiency
    - Mike Pannone

Deep Vein Ridiculous Thrombosis?

Dead (Very) Right There?
    I'm a "7" compared to most gun-guys, which means I'm a "3" on P-F.

Interesting application of fluid dynamics.

The Hornady design uses a flat nose (which produces a larger/stable stagnation point) which results in the formation of a more symmetric/consistent vacuum envelope behind the shock front. The new design essentially eliminates the viscous drag component (friction) of the air leaving only the inertial component (ratio of projectile to air densities) to act upon the bullet much like what is seen when a flat point bullet produces cavitation in 10% ordnance gelatin.

A sharply pointed bullet tip allows the stagnation point to shift during flight because there isn't a surface perpendicular to the air's flow field for the stagnation point to reside upon so no ''drag crisis'' arises.

Very cool!

*DVRT = Drag Variance Reduction Tip
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Smart idea. Instead of trying to "trick" physics and create the lowest drag bullet which is low drag under optimal conditions. They opted to instead identify the optimal range of drag across many conditions and then build a bullet that stays within that range.

The things you can do with really good radar and chronographs are amazing. I wonder if this scales up for things like artillery rounds.

A more Indepth desiccation if you have an hour to kill.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    The things you can do with really good radar and chronographs are amazing. I wonder if this scales up for things like artillery rounds.
    Yeah, it's been around for a while:
    Name:  Junghans_fuzes.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  30.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Interesting application of fluid dynamics.

The Hornady design uses a flat nose (which produces a larger/stable stagnation point) which results in the formation of a more symmetric/consistent vacuum envelope behind the shock front. The new design essentially eliminates the viscous drag component (friction) of the air leaving only the inertial component (ratio of projectile to air densities) to act upon the bullet much like what is seen when a flat point bullet produces cavitation in 10% ordnance gelatin.

A sharply pointed bullet tip allows the stagnation point to shift during flight because there isn't a surface perpendicular to the air's flow field for the stagnation point to reside upon so no ''drag crisis'' arises.

Very cool!

*DVRT = Drag Variance Reduction Tip
    I'm guessing that this same phenomenon is why HP's were better match bullets than FMJ's? Apparently not so much for the cavity, but the flat nose profile?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I'm guessing that this same phenomenon is why HP's were better match bullets than FMJ's? Apparently not so much for the cavity, but the flat nose profile?
    Yes, Chuck. Good question. Since air is a fluid, albeit one having both very low density and viscosity, the same rules (Bernoulli) apply. The flat surface (meplat) produces a relatively large stagnation front that drives fluid (air, water, 10% ordnance gel, what have you) radially away (x- and y-axes) and perpendicular to the bullet's path of travel along the z-axis that practically eliminates contact of the fluid with the sides of the bullet which result in steering forces that push the bullet off course JHPs also favorably alter the location of the bullet's CoG and CoP which effects the stability of the bullet while in flight.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 05-18-2024 at 06:42 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List